The Beginners Guide to Crochet
- Have you ever wanted to give a handmade gift? Maybe you find it difficult to find a product in a certain color or quality that just is NOT available anymore in todays market (handmade quality is a dying trade.). Sometimes it feels so accomplishing to say “I made that!”. Or maybe you simply have time and would like to use it productively and Learn a unique skill that you could make money doing!
- My mother taught me the basics of Crochet when I was just 8 years old. It wasnt though until I was older that I really started to expand on my abilities. I am a (regularly right handed in day to day) but a left handed crocheter who doesn’t read patterns. Everything I make it out of my own head and has been that way for the past 17 years!
What is Crocheting?
- Crochet is a handcraft in which yarn is made up into a patterned fabric by looping yarn with a hooked needle.
- Some People think that in order to crochet something beautiful you have to have a special skill and a lot of time. NO! Thats gonna be no for me dawg. While is does take a little bit of practice, it is not rocket science and anyone can do it! Your item can be paused and resumed at your leisure and the longer you do it the faster you will become.
How to get started with Crochet
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
- You will need a crochet hook and yarn. I suggest you buy this hook set that comes in an adorable carrying case with extras! It has everything you need to be a beginner and professional Crocheter. Yarn <– I love this versatile inexpensive yarn!
Tips for Success
- Taking your time in understanding the logistics of how to work yarn
- Working for a short time each day (even just 10 minutes) to establish a better understanding
- Walk before you run, choose smaller items
Common Questions/FAQ About Crocheting
- Do you need a special skill to start?
- Crocheting IS a special skill! Everyone who crochets today at one time had never touched a hook and the only thing you need is your hands, a hook, yarn, and the interest!
- Does Crocheting take a lot of time?
- Learning will take you some time. Once you learn the basics and depending on your item you can create things in good time!
- I have kids but want to learn how to crochet, is this possible?
- ABSOLUTELY! I actually recommend mothers to learn how to crochet being that they are tied to the house a lot. You can use nap or independent play times to work on something you have going. Plus, when they are older you can teach them!
- Why not just buy factory made things instead of going through the work in hand making an item?
- You can buy things at a store but would it feel as good as putting something on that you made? Crocheting isn’t about convenience, its about bettering yourself in learning a life-long skill. Its a hobby that you can indulge in and find enjoyment in, and even make money doing it!
- Is crocheting an expensive hobby?
- NO! Yarn is so cheap and hooks never go bad. It could get costly if you buy expensive yarns but usually that is not the case.
- What kind of things can you make?
- Hats, stuffed animals, sweaters, scarfs, gloves, socks, slippers, blankets, pillows, pillow covers, place mats, coasters, and pretty much anything!
The Last Thing You Need to Know about Crocheting
- Anyone can learn and it is SO MUCH FUN!
- What kind of things would you like me to teach you to make? Comment below or subscribe to receive updates on how to learn!
Please follow and like us: